Sources of income in retirement (2)

The Ritcey Report

Written by Lynn Healy-Goulet
February 16, 2017

This is the second of a three-part commentary about an issue central to the financial well being of our friends in Nova Scotia approaching retirement age.

Like many Canadians, you probably have investments within a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP or RRSPs) that you have built up over the years.

Now, as retirement approaches, you may want to start withdrawing that money. What follows is some clarity about the issues involved.

You may access your RRSP savings at any time, but under current tax law you may keep the RRSP money tax sheltered until the end of the year that you turn 71. Once you withdraw any funds from the plan they will be fully taxed. With personal RRSPs you have three choices:

  1. Withdraw the funds
    When you made your RRSP contributions you received a tax deduction and any income earned in the RRSP was tax sheltered. Therefore the monies in the RRSP have never been taxed which means that any withdrawals are fully taxed as income in the year they are received. Given this fact, it is usually not recommended to start receiving the funds until you need them.
  2. Purchase a Registered Annuity
    By purchasing an annuity with your registered funds you will receive a steady stream of payments over time on which you will have to pay tax. The amount you receive from your annuity is based on interest rates that may be low at your time of purchase.
  3. Transfer the funds into a Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF)
    RRSPs are designed to build up funds while RRIFs are designed to pay funds out. RRIFs look just like RRSPs from an investment perspective, with the same flexibility of investment choices. When you establish a RRIF you will be required under tax law to withdraw a minimum amount each year. This amount will be included in your income for tax purposes. There are no maximum withdrawal limitations on a RRIF so you can take out as much as you need provided you are prepared to pay the resulting tax. The younger you are when you establish the RRIF, the lower the minimum withdrawals will be.

Pooled Registered Pension Plan (PRPP)

The Federal government recently introduced the Pooled Registered Pension Plan (PRPP), a new kind of deferred income plan designed to provide retirement income for employees and self-employed individuals who do not have access to a workplace pension. Because individuals’ assets will be pooled, the PRPP will offer investment and savings opportunities at lower administration costs. An individual can be enrolled in a PRPP by his or her employer, if the employer chooses to participate in the plan. A self-employed individual and an individual whose employer chooses not to participate can open a PRPP account by approaching a PRPP administrator directly. Investment options in a PRPP are similar to those available in a registered pension plan.

Non-Registered Assets

The main difference between registered (RRSPs and RRIFs for example) and non-registered funds is taxation. All income received from a registered plan is fully taxed as income at your marginal tax rate. The taxation of non registered
investments depends on the type of income earned.

Capital gains, dividends and interest are all taxed differently and will have implications for your income and investment decisions. Which investments should I use first? A husband and wife may both have registered and non-registered investments to fund their retirement.

In offering this overview of Registered Assets, it is important to note that each plan contains important nuances and qualifications needing discussion with a knowledgeable professional.

For further information and advice, please contact Dave Ritcey, Portfolio Manager at The Ritcey Team of ScotiaMcLeod®, a division of Scotia Capital Inc., Tel.: 902.678.0048